I remember having a conversation with one of my sons on COVID-19 when it initially started and wasn’t a pandemic yet. He was shocked that a flu-like disease could cause such a humongous change in the world. In his words: " I've never experienced such a thing in my entire life!", and we laughed about it.
As we know now, it's no longer a laughing matter as thousands of lives have been lost globally.
For us Nigerians, we have been fortunate enough to not have as high spikes as other countries like the U.S.A, Italy, Spain,and Germany.
So, what are you doing with your time?
The first 3 days may have been fun; resting, sleeping, relaxing and not having a routine. After that, what? How are you engaging yourself and household?
Here are some tips (tips for what) which you can customize to your needs:
1. PLAN: Since you're at home, you can still have plans in your activities at home. Set out what you want to achieve/ do that day. It’ll give structure to your day and help you to not be idle.
2. HOBBIES: Start a hobby or if you already have one, this is the time to embark on it. Read that book you've been putting away, paint, write, dance...etc. Just explore some activites you have been hoping to do but never got around to doing. You have the time now so just do it!
3. EXERCISE: Start easy if you've never done exercise. Try walking. You can do that on your streets to keep fit. If you've been active try to maintain the habit and do more if you can.
4. FOOD: Be kind to yourself but don't over do it! Watch how much you eat, drink (and even sleep) so you don't gain weight or build up expenses. You could also try out new cuisines or even learn how to cook if you don't know. You may say, "how do I get the ingredients?" There are designated places and days you can go to the market to buy groceries. Grab this opportunity and improve your culinary skills.
5. BONDING: Spend quality time talking and listening to the children. It may not be easy but this is the time to share, care, and love yourselves! Examine their bodies and talk about sex and their safety... yes, discuss it if they’re of age to comprehend. Make sure they know you’re there for them.
6. RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD: (if you’re religious): If you don't know it's by HIS Grace you're still here, then you have to guage your connection with God. Bible study, gospel songs, Christian movies, prayers.... A lot of these resources can be found online so there’s no reason for you to not step up your game.
7. SPOUSE: Bond with your spouse. Not just sex is important! Really talk. Discuss things you never had time to do. This is the time to correct or request for any positive changes in your relationship. Reduce your phone use and enjoy each other's company. Also, give space when necessary ( social distancing...lol). It's not easy being in the house 24/7 for weeks on end. Give each other some personal space when needed.
8. RECONNECT: Place calls to old friends and family members you've not seen or heard from in a long time. Know how they are doing. Just check on people.
9. CHARITY: You're blessed to be alive and healthy. Give whatever you can to someone in your neighborhood who is in need. Nothing is too small.
10. CREATIVITY: Work on yourself and business and see how you can improve and get better! Think. Explore. Grow.
The lockdown is not funny but never see challenges only as problems or punishment. Rather view it as an opportunity to evaluate, reconnect and improve ourselves.
Add to this and let’s help each other here.
BE SAFE!! BE STRONG! IT WILL SOON PASS AWAY!